THE FACTS OF VAPING.
There are lots of different opinions and beliefs about vaping. Some say it’s as bad as smoking, others say it helps with quitting smoking. It’s actually somewhere in the middle: vaping is not for non-smokers, but it has the potential to help smokers quit.
What is VAPING?
Vaping refers to the use of an electronic device that heats a liquid turning it into an aerosol (vapour) which the user inhales.
HOW IS VAPING DIFFERENT TO SMOKING?
Vaping is different to smoking, which burns tobacco leaf creating smoke. Both vaping and smoking deliver nicotine, but it is the burning of tobacco that causes most of the harm. Vaping, however, is not completely harmless.
WHAT’S IN VAPE LIQUID?
The vaping liquid (also called e-liquid) typically contains propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, plus flavours and the option of nicotine.
- Propylene glycol creates a throat sensation similar to smoking.
- A higher ratio vegetable glycerine gives more vapour.
- Different flavours are added for personal preference. These are regulated under the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
- Nicotine is optional, and comes in different levels of strength.
WHAT IS A VAPE DEVICE?
Vape devices are also known as e-cigarettes. There are two types, both of which need charging:
- Discreet pod or pen devices are mouth-to-lung devices. Pod devices have a battery and a disposable e-liquid cartridge. Pen devices have a battery, a tank that refills with liquid, and a coil that heats the vapour.
- More complex tank devices are direct-to-lung devices and are the ones that can make big clouds.
HOW VAPING HELPS SMOKERS?
Vaping can help smokers quit by delivering nicotine. Vaping is a lot less harmful than smoking. Only vape to quit smoking.
VAPING VS SMOKING.
The difference between smoking and vaping is that smoking delivers nicotine by burning tobacco, which can cause smoking-related illnesses, and vaping can deliver nicotine by heating a liquid in a much less harmful way.
VAPING TO QUIT SMOKING.
Quitting smoking can be tough. Vaping is a way to quit cigarettes by getting nicotine with fewer of the toxins that come from burning tobacco. You get to stay social, spend less, and once you’ve quit smoking you’ll feel better for it.
Although vaping’s much less harmful than smoking, it’s not harmless.
So you should plan to eventually quit vaping too, but only when you know you won’t go back to smoking.
Vaping is here. But what is it? Who should be doing it? And is it safe?
WHAT WE AGREE ON?
The best thing you can do for your health is be smokefree and vape free.
Vaping is not for children or young people.
Vaping can help some people quit smoking.
Vaping is not harmless but it is much less harmful than smoking.
Vaping is not for non-smokers.