How to Quit.
What is offered, where and by whom?
Stopping smoking is one of the best decisions you’ll ever make. If you’re ready to stop smoking, we’re ready to help. We have eight sites across Tai Tokerau. Our stop smoking service offers face-to-face support which can be provided in an individual, whanau/family or group setting. We provide free nicotine replacement therapy to support you on your journey to quit/become smokefree. This includes gum, lozenges and patches. We can also advise you about other non-funded stop smoking medicines available.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy
Where to get it
Toki Rau Stop Smoking Services provides FREE nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). This includes gum, lozenges and patches. We can also advise you about other non-funded stop smoking medicines available.
What it costs
NRT is free from Toki Rau Stop Smoking Service providers. There will be a $5 dispensing fee if you access NRT via Quitline, your GP or pharmacist.
How to use it
Using patches, gum and lozenges for eight weeks can double your chances of quitting. They will reduce your cigarette cravings without damaging your health. They work by replacing some of the nicotine you usually get from cigarettes or tobacco.
What is vaping?
- Vape devices (also called e-cigarettes) heat a liquid (e-liquid) to produce a vapour that you inhale.
- Some, but not all of those liquids, contain nicotine and are also available in different flavours.
How is vaping different from smoking cigarettes?
- Vaping is not smoking.
- The main difference between vaping and smoking tobacco is that vaping doesn’t involve burning.
- It’s burning tobacco that creates the tar and toxins in tobacco smoke that are responsible for most of the harm caused by smoking.
Is vaping safe?
- Vaping is not harmless, but it is much less harmful than smoking.
- Nicotine is addictive and is the reason people find it hard to quit smoking.
- For people who smoke, nicotine is a relatively harmless drug.
- Vaping is less harmful to those around you than smoking is - there’s no current evidence that second-hand vapour is dangerous to others.
- If you’re vaping, you should buy quality products from reputable sources. Talk to them. It’s important to have good equipment, advice and support.
- And if you don’t smoke… don’t vape.
Can vaping help people quit smoking?
- Yes. Switching to vaping may help you quit smoking.
- Vaping can be a good option for you if you’ve tried other ways to quit smoking (patches, gum etc) and these haven’t helped you quit smoking completely.
- Vaping offers experiences similar to smoking a cigarette, which some people find helpful – and it’s usually cheaper than smoking.
- Vaping products can only be sold to people aged 18 and over.
Should you use nicotine e-liquid?
- If you’re vaping to quit smoking, you’ll have more success using nicotine e-liquid.
For more information
There is more information about vaping, including the risks, legislation covering vaping products, on the Ministry of Health website.
Quitline has general information about vaping, as well as how they can help people who are using vaping to quit smoking.